Saturday, November 29, 2014

up to the challenge

A few weeks ago Dave told Calvin that if he could run a mile without stopping at all, in under 10 minutes, he would buy him a new gaming system. I thought that this was a pretty lofty, if not completely impossible goal. Calvin went out running with Dave a couple of times but could only make it a few houses and then he'd stop with cramps completely out of breath. He only tried this a few times and the rest of the days he wouldn't even go out and try. However, he was completely planning on getting the Wii U as evidenced by his hours spent shopping online for the best wii u package! He also told his sisters that they could keep his old wii when he got his new wii u.  I was very concerned that he would have a major let down as weeks and even months passed by and he couldn't get his wii u. He is not good at waiting. We told Calvin that it would take one or more months to train himself to be able to run that far without stopping.


This morning Dave got home from work and offered to take Calvin out to practice running. Dave said, "Let's see how far you can go without stopping." Calvin went with him and low and behold he ran the entire mile without stopping. It was amazing. He was really dragging toward the end but hung in there.  Lexey and I were out on bikes and saw him and Dave coming down the road so we cheered him on as he ran the last 100 yards.

He came straight in the house and sat with the open fridge getting lots of drinks of cold water and telling the girls about his battle "I had cramps but I just kept going" "My mind was telling me I should stop but I just told myself to keep going".  Good for Calvin!





Later this afternoon Dave took him out to get his wii. Christmas will be a real let down after this. 

Today is the biggest college football day of the year so Dave told Calvin he'd have to wait to play until tomorrow. Calvin said that would be fine....but Dave ended up finding another solution, letting Calvin use the computer monitor for the wii while he watches football on the big tv.


I wonder what else Calvin can do ..... sometimes I wonder if we underestimate him.

No comments:

Post a Comment