Tuesday, May 1, 2012

How's Calvin's new school?

I get asked this at least once a day! We've been at Calvin's new school for 3 weeks. I think things are going well so far. Calvin loves going to school which is great. I am still getting used to not having details about his day sent home for me to see! The only time I have to hear from the school about an incident is if there is a manual restraint (if they lay a hand on my child, they are required to tell me about it and as part of their training, teachers learn how to hold a child without hurting them if it is necessary for the safety of the child or others around that child). There have been a few instances where Calvin has had to be restrianed. Last week he had a bad day where he started hitting a teacher and had to be restrained and then tried to run away and had to be restrained. It sounds like it was a very rough morning but once he turned himself around he had a good day. He has had a couple of other incedents but they tell me that overall he is doing well and learning and following directions. When he does have a rough time, once the bell rings and he moves to the next class he is able to start fresh and get back on track. We have our 30 (school) day IEP scheduled for the end of MAY. At that time I will get more information about how he has been doing so far and what his strengths and weaknesses are. We will set our goals for the year. I am looking forward to the meeting so that I can learn more about how things are going at school. Usually I dread these types of meetings so I guess it is one more good change to count that I am looking forward to this meeting. We are still having a few struggles with the bus -- mostly that it is too long. 90 min in the morning and 90-120 minutes in the afternoon depending on # of kids on the bus, traffic, etc. Everytime I get a phone call from the school dave says, "how many more phone calls do you think we will get before they kick Calvin out of their school?" The school tells us that they can handle Calvin but we still have our doubts/concern that he will be too difficult for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment